Moving home is never a smooth transition, but moving out of state is a whole other level. There are so many things you need to get organized all while coming to terms with living in an entirely new part of the country. If you’re in the process of planning a relocation, this guide will show you what to do when moving to a new state.
What you will need
Planning a move during Covid-19 can be incredibly stressful, it can seem like your to-do list is neverending. Here are some of the most important things you’ll need to get in order before moving to another state:
Update your paperwork
Having all your important documents in one place during your move will make it much less stressful if something goes wrong or you need a specific file quickly. Here’s a moving checklist of everything you should have:
- Driver’s license – even if you’re hiring a mover, you’ll need an up to date license to set up new utility and cable services.
- Passport – new employers often ask for a passport to show your right to work and citizenship status.
- Birth certificate/social security card – many states require proof of your legal name to update your driver’s license or vehicle registration.
- Title of your car – you’ll need to update the registration to your new state using this.
- Family medical records – these will all be needed when you find a new doctor and school for your kids in your new state.
- Pet vet records – these will be needed when you find a new vet.
- Homeowners insurance policy – if your insurance covers moving out of state, it’s good to have a copy on hand. Plus, you may need this to show proof of residency for any new utilities or registration.
Plan a budget
Moving out of state isn’t cheap. In fact, the average cost is $4,300. Before you get started, plan a budget so you’re not hit with unplanned expenses. Here are some things to add to your budget for moving to another state:
- Packing materials
- Hiring a moving company
- Hiring a truck if doing it yourself
- Moving insurance
- Storage costs
- Overnight stays for long-distance moves
- Child or pet care
Research Moving Companies
Moving all your belongings to a new state is a big job. Although you could try to save money by doing it yourself, you’ll save yourself so much time and stress by hiring professional movers to take care of this for you.
Put together a list of local moving companies that suit your needs. You’ll need a full service from a company with large enough vans to transport all of your things safely.
Your homeowner or renter’s insurance might include protection for moving to a new home, so your first step is to make sure you’ve checked any current policies.
If you hire a moving company, they will have a level of insurance to cover any damage during transit. Make sure they offer a level of protection you are comfortable with.
For full peace of mind, you can get a trip transit policy. This covers any damage during the move the same way home insurance covers personal items.
Check With Your Employer to See What They Will Cover
If you’re relocating to start a new job, your employer may have a relocation package to help with the cost of the move. This may include:
- Packing and/or unpacking services.
- The cost of a moving company with reasonable insurance coverage.
- Home sale or lease-breaking penalty assistance – either reimbursement of money lost on a quick sale or professional marketing services to help speed up the sale process.
- A house-hunting trip to help you find a new place.
- Temporary housing for at least 30 days if needed.
- Transport costs.
- Capped miscellaneous expenses such as driver’s license fees, pet registration, cleaning services, utility hook-ups and other move-related expenses.
How to save money on moving to a new state
If your employer isn’t covering any of the costs of your move to a new state, there are some other ways you can save money when you move to Boulder, CO:
- Throw a packing party to save the cost of a professional service
- Get free boxes from local stores and retailers
- Declutter and hold a yard sale to reduce the amount of stuff you need to move to your new home
- Switch banks to take advantage of deals and reduce fees
Need a Reliable Moving Company?
At Free Range Movers, we offer a range of moving packages to help take the stress out of moving to your new home. We include everything you need from professional packing services to extensive insurance policies to keep your belongings safe and secure when traveling long-distance. Call us now to get a quote.
No, moving expenses are no longer tax deductible for most Americans. However, you can make deductions if you are an active member of the armed forces who is moving to a new permanent station.
Moving companies will come with insurance so check with them to see what is covered. You can take out a more comprehensive policy on top of that if you wish.
The average cost to move to a new state is $4,3000 based on the average distance of 1,225 miles and 7,400 pounds of belongings.
Most states require you to update your new address within thirty days of moving to a new city. But this varies so make sure to check the local guidelines.